- Each Massage Therapist can participate in 1 or 2 categories
- Participants must wear sports shoes, sports pants or yoga pants, T-shirts etc..
- Shoes are not allowed in Thai Yoga.
- Participants are to bring their own sheets, towels, tools, etc..
- The recipient of the massage must wear underwear at all times and have covered their chest (if she is a woman). Any area which is not being worked on must be covered/draped.
- No cameras are allowed during the rounds and the final.
- Insurance – It is your own insurance that covers both you and the participant you treat during the competition.
- The survey/test requires smartphone or tablet.
- Swedish massage (Western massage including classical massage, sports massage, MFR, MET, neuromuscular techniques, stretching etc.)
- Asian massage (Thai massage, Shiatsu, Tui Na, Ayurveda etc.)
- Wellness massage (Hot Stone, Aromatherapy, spa massage, lymph drainage, hoilistic massage etc)
- Free style massage (Combination of different types of massage, self treatment, mobilization, cupping, massage with tools, bodywork etc.)
- Chair massage (both Asian and Western inspired massage)
Participants are informed, that the judges at the competition are capable of evaluating the individual treatment and please note, that a treatment can be placed in several categories.
The competition area is divided into 3 massage areas. 30 massage tables are available, as well as 6 mattresses for Thai massage and 5 chairs for the chair massage. Height of tables will be adjusted by the participants.
All participants are required to receive massage, as well as giving massages. If necessary the International Massage Association will arrange for suitable candidates/massage recipients in particular cases.
Please note, there is shower facilities.
Participants will be divided into 3 groups.
The location of table or mattress for each participant will be chosen by lot. Duration of each round is 65 minutes (incl. examination).
Participants have approximately 5 minutes to examine the receiver before the massage is given.
The recipient of the massage will be asked to hand out points from 1-10 for the treatment, especially pressure depth and adaption are to be thought off.
Judges will evaluate the participants in the following areas:
- Innovation and Development of new methods
- Client contact
In the preliminary rounds, the Judges are constituted by members of the Board of Directors at The International Massage Association as well as elected representatives from the National Massage Associations and Massage World Magazine. The Judges may issue 1-3 wildcards for the Finale.
The Duration of the Final is 65 minutes.
Spectators who are trained Massage Therapists are able to hand out 1 point each.
Massage recipients (Professional and highly educated Massage Therapists) hand up to 6 points depending on their experience of the massage they receive.
The head judges are able to hand out 3 points each.
The Winner will be the Massage Therapist who gets the most points, and he/she is appointed as World Champion in Massage 2018
How can one compete in massage?
At the World Championship in Massage, focus is on examination, techniques, ergonomics and overall performance in each category – judged by specialists and highly experienced judges in the specific category.
By “The flow of the massage” means a continuous non-stop movement and variation of techniques performed by the therapist.
Ergonomics: How does the therapists use their own bodies (work environment) and their remedies (Massage tables etc)
Techniques: Different techniques used in each category. Innovative and effective techniques for both therapist and client.
The judges will each evaluate the participants in their field of expertise in close cooperation with other judges. The recipients in the final are also judges, and will give up to 6 points for the treatment as well.
Please, follow us here on our website www.worldchampionship-massage.com or on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheInternationalMassageAssociation/ for further update.